Bilbao has a great deal of history – after all, the city was founded just over 700 years ago! If its streets could only talk, the stories they could tell… But Bilbao is also a city that has transformed itself tremendously over the past few years, evolving into the friendly, cosmopolitan and bustling city it is today.
We’ll visit some of the buildings and landmarks that have made the city famous the world over: the Guggenheim Bilbao Museum designed by famous Canadian architect Frank Gehry, the city’s Metro (or Underground) designed by Norman Foster and the Isozaki Towers designed by the Japanese architect of the same name, to mention but a few. We’ll also take a look at other buildings that, without being quite as famous as the ones previously-mentioned, I’m sure will also pleasantly surprise you.
Our Tour continues in the Old Quarter of the city (or the “Seven Streets” as people from Bilbao refer to the small area of narrow streets and alleys). As I tell you about the city’s history, we’ll take short breathers from time to time to sample some of the most delicious “pintos” in the city. And, should you wish to discover more of the secrets the city keeps carefully hidden, all you have to do is follow me.
- I personally will collect you from your hotel/apartment/cruise ship.
- We’ll begin our stroll through the city at the Guggenheim Bilbao Museum and, from there, continue to explore modern and XXI-century Bilbao.
- Visit to the Museum (Optional).
- Upon arriving at the most recently-built part of the city, we’ll stop for lunch. You can choose either a wine-pairing session with “pintxos” in one of the best gastrobars in the city, or, I could take you on a reduced “Pintxo Tour” instead of a sit-down lunch, whichever you’d feel happier with. The latter, however, is perhaps a better way of getting to know the REAL city.
- After lunch, we’ll stroll through the narrow streets of the Old Quarter and I’ll share some of the “secrets” of the city and show you some of sometimes curious, always fascinating “off-the-beaten-tourist-track” spots that only people from Bilbao know about.
- When the Tour is over, I’d be delighted to escort you back to your accommodation, should you so wish.